Saturday, October 6, 2012

Creativity Attack


Halloween approaches. It’s an event of controversy for some. I wasn’t allowed to go trick or treating as a kid. My best recollection of the reason my parents gave had to do with it being a form of begging. When my kids were little, I felt uncomfortable associating with anything remotely pagan or demonic so placed restrictions on our participation. Over the years I’ve come to believe that dressing up in silly costumes has no more to do with demonization than playing at peek-a-boo has with becoming invisible.


On the other hand I want to use every opportunity to bring blessing and light into my little corner of the world, right? I’ve been trying to remember something I came across in The Message not too long ago that I want to incorporate into my front door seasonal décor. This morning through working on my Bible study lesson I was directed to Ephesians 5:11-16. Woohoo! There’s the verse!

“Don’t waste your time on useless work, mere busywork, the barren pursuits of darkness. Expose these things for the sham they are. It’s a scandal when people waste their lives on things they must do in the darkness where no one will see. Rip the cover off those frauds and see how attractive they look in the light of Christ.

Wake up from your sleep,
Climb out of your coffins;
Christ will show you the light!
So watch your step. Use your head. Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times!”

A scary yet reassuring reminder not just for Halloween!

 And here's where the attack of creativity took me.

Front door side window.




Wind chimes catch more than the breeze.



Protected by a ziplock bag...
...the breeze makes the card twist and turn.




What’s your approach to Halloween?

4 comments:

  1. Love where your creativity took you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get my Autumn decorations out! Including the cutest ones handmade by you!! Halloween around here is handled pretty much by turning off the lights and not answering the door... but we don't get trick or treaters around here anymore anyway.... I get weary of seeing all the halloween decor in the stores but I do love a costume party! and I love me some more candy corn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time since I've been to a costume party but I've also put on a costume just to answer the door to trick or treaters. The year that I dressed as Elvis and put on the Elvis CD was really fun. Heard people out on the sidewalk calling out, "Go to that house. Elvis is there!"

      Delete